The Erosion Control and Water Management Program, commonly known as the State Cost-Share Program, was created to provide funds to Soil and Water Conservation Districts to share the cost of systems or practices for erosion control, sedimentation control, or water quality improvements that are designed to protect and improve soil and water resources. Through the State Cost-Share Program, land occupiers can request financial and technical assistance from their local District for the implementation of conservation practices.
State Cost Share and Reinvest in Minnesota Reserve Proposed Rulemaking Update
March 25, 2013
October 16, 2012
Update and Status.
After several months of working with SWCD's and the Mn Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts the rules that govern the Erosion Control and Water Management Program (commonly referred to as Cost-Share) and Reinvest in Minnesota (RIM) Reserve Programs (Rule Chapter 8400) is ready to proceed. The BWSR Grants Program and Policy Committee will be meeting on Tuesday, October 23 in St. Paul to consider and develop a recommendation for the proposed rule, and draft Erosion Control and Water Management Program Policy. The BWSR Board is currently scheduled to consider the Committee recommendation at its regular meeting on Wednesday, October 24.
BWSR has been working on these rules for more than two years, and a Notice of Intent to Adopt (the Rules) Without a Public Hearing was published in the State Register on May 7, 2012. This Notice established a comment period through June 6, 2012. This Notice was later amended to extend the comment period through June 11, 2012. 41 requests for a public hearing were received. The Administrative Procedures Act provides that a public hearing must be held if at least 25 requests are received during the public comment period.
Commenters raised several issues, chief among them was a proposed change that would allow BWSR to implement the RIM program through “authorized agents”. To address the issues raised in the comments, a meeting was held on August 27 with the individuals that had requested a public hearing and representatives of the Mn Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts. Several changes were made to the proposed rule and draft policy as a result of this meeting. Subsequently, 21 of the 41 requests for a public hearing were withdrawn. Staff are now proposing to continue the rulemaking process.
Proposed and Draft Program Documents.
Posted on the BWSR cost share website are the proposed rule, the draft statement of need and reasonableness (SONAR), and the draft Erosion Control and Water Management Program Policy all with changes incorporated from the August 27 meeting, and several others that were suggested following this date. Notes are provided for each of these documents.
(1) Rule. The changes to the proposed rule are on pages 7, 14, 15, 16 and 27 and are highlighted in yellow. This rule looks different than the one that was published in May. The attached version was created from a Word document; the published one was made by the Revisor of Statutes which uses a software that BWSR cannot directly modify.
(2) SONAR. The changes to the draft SONAR are on pages 9, 10, 11 and 14, correspond to changes made to the rule and are highlighted in yellow.
(3) Policy. The changes to the draft Policy are highlighted in yellow.
Staff are proposing to implement these changes with the FY14 State Cost-Share grants that will be made available to SWCDs in summer 2013.
State Cost Share and Reinvest in Minnesota Reserve Proposed Rulemaking
May 10, 2012
BWSR has been working on changes to the State Cost Share Program and Reinvest in Minnesota Program for the past two years. This effort will result in the creation of an amended rule, BWSR Board adopted policies, and a program manual that together will guide the future implementation of these programs.
The proposed rule is being published in the State Register on May 7, 2012 and comments on the rule are encouraged through June 6, 2012. The proposed rule, statement of need and reasonableness and draft Erosion Control and Water Management (Cost-Share) policy are posted here to inform and solicit input from SWCDs and other interested parties. The first two documents apply to both RIM reserve and Cost Share. The last document only applies to the Cost Share program.
(1) Proposed Cost Share and RIM Reserve Rule
(2) Proposed Cost Share and RIM Reserve Sonar
(3) Draft Cost Share Program Policy
(4) Notice of Intent to Adopt Rules without a Public Hearing (May 10, 2012)
The intention behind the rule and policy is to ensure the Rule is consistent with statutory changes adopted in 2009, increase program flexibility through BWSR Board adopted policy, and reduce administrative overhead (BWSR and SWCD) through improved coordination between State Cost Share and other grant programs, such as those established through the Clean Water Fund.
The final adoption date of the rule is dependent on the comments received, but could occur as soon as early August 2012.
If you have a comment or suggestion you would like considered during rule and policy development please send them to:
Land and Water Section Manager
Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources
State Cost-Share Manual
State Cost-Share Manual (Updated Auguest 14, 2012 - See sections below)
This page includes links to the forms available in the revised State Cost-Share Program Manual. Most forms have been created in Microsoft Word.
Sample request for Cost-Share Assistance Form
- This sample form can be used by SWCD staff to document requests for Cost-Share Assistance from livestock producers who have signed an Open Lot Agreement or other landowners seeking technical and financial assistance for installing conservation practices. For more information: www.pca.state.mn.us/hot/feedlots.html
Part III Forms
- Resolution Adopting a County Comprehensive Local Water Management Plan
- Cost-Share Pooling Memorandum of Agreement
- Cost-Share Closeout Form
- Final Financial Report: State Cost-Share Program (Updated August 2008)
- Return of State Grant Funds Form (Excel) (updated Oct. 2011)
Part IV Forms
- State Cost-Share Assistance Contract
- State Cost-Share Assistance Contract Group Project Addendum
- Cost-Share Contract Approval Letter
- Cost-Share Contract Denial Letter
- BWSR Internal Corrective Action Procedure
- State Cost-Share Program Non-compliance Guide
- Checklist Items for Processing a Cost-Share Contract
- Cost-Share Assistance Contract Amendment
- Voucher and Practice Certification Summary Form (Excel)
- Instructions for Recording Practices (posted Oct 2010)
Part V Forms
Part VI Forms
- State Cost-Share Program Site Inspection Form
- Corrective Action Transmittal: State Cost-Share Program
- Correction Action Plan: State Cost-Share Program
Part VII Form
Resources and Links
- Minnesota Statute 103C.501 Cost-Sharing Conservation Contracts for Erosion Control and Water Management
- Minnesota Rule 8400 Cost-Share Program
- Minnesota Rule 8400 Rule Revision
- BWSR Grants Committee
- Cooperative Weed Management Area Program
- Native Buffer Program
- Grant Reporting Requirements
- Additional SWCD Reporting Requirements
- Return of State Grant Funds Form (Excel)