Minnesota Public Drainage Manual Update
For the first time since it was published in 1991, BWSR has begun work on updating the Minnesota Public Drainage Manual (MPDM).
Stakeholder Input Opportunities
There are two major ways for organizations to input into the process: (1) Stakeholder Focus Groups and (2) the Project Advisory Committee and it's associated Chapter subcommittees. Those opportunities are explained in the following documents:
Overview of Stakeholder Input Opportunities and Addendum to the Overview of Stakeholder Input Opportunities
Stakeholder Focus Groups and Stakeholder Questionnaire
- MPDM Update Project Focus Group Outline
- MPDM Update Project Focus Group Stakeholder Questionnaire: *New deadline for submittal of Stakeholder Focus Group Questionnaire: EOD, January 9, 2015.
Look for further updates on the process here.
Targeted Drainage Water Management Grant Program Resources
This list of resources is for Grantees, Landowners, and/or Technical Service Providers (TSPs) developing Drainage Water Management Plans (DWMPs) and implementing DWM practices through the Targeted Drainage Water Management Grant Program (TDWMGP). This program has been coordinated with applicable USDA-NRCS conservation practice standards and conservation activity plans.
Resources from BWSR
The TDWMGP is one of the BWSR Clean Water Fund grant programs and uses the policies and procedures from the BWSR: FY 2013 Clean Water Fund Competitive Grants Policy
Specific TDWMGP guidance is available in the: FY2013 Clean Water Fund Targeted Drainage Water Management Grants Program Description
Questions and Answers about Drainage Water Management: Drainage Water Management for the Midwest
Targeted DWM Brochure: BWSR Conservation Drainage Program: Drainage Water Management Grants FY 2013
BWSR Example of...
Resources from NRCS
The TDWMGP uses applicable NRCS Conservation Activity Plans (CAPs), Conservation Practices (CPs) and associated forms. Due to differences with roles and responsibilities between NRCS and the Local Government Units participating in the TDWMGP, some documents have been revised accordingly for TDWMGP use.
- NRCS Minnesota Criteria for Drainage Water Management Plan (CAP 130)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Drainage Water Management Implementation (CP 554)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Structure for Water Control (CP 587)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Vegetated Subsurface Drain Outlet (CP 739)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Denitrifying Bioreactor (CP 747)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Subsurface Drain (CP 606) - For Alternative Tile Inlets
- NRCS Criteria for Nutrient Management Plan (CAP 104)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Nutrient Management Implementation (CP 590)
Drainage Management Team
Inter-agency group that provides information and assistance to drainage authorities (more information)
Drainage Work Group
The Drainage Work Group was first established as a stakeholder group to advise the preparation the Public Drainage Ditch Buffer Study, which was published by BWSR in February 2006. This Study Work Group discussed a range of topics regarding buffer strips and drainage and developed a number of consensus recommendations, which are presented in Section 6 of the study report. In 2006, the Study Work Group agreed to continue to meet as the stakeholder Drainage Work Group (DWG), with continued facilitation provided by the BWSR.
- Redetermination of Benefits and Damages Brochure
- Drainage Work Group overview / membership
- Fact Sheet
- Meeting notes
- DWG discussion topics and consensus recommendations
- Redetermination of Benefits Survey - Presentation by Minnesota River Board Executive Director Shannon Fisher (Sept. 9, 2010)
- Study of Riparian Buffer Areas - Report to the Legislature, required by Minn. Laws 2008 Chapter 88 (posted Feb. 26, 2010)
Buffer Strip Reporting
In 2007, the Minnesota Legislature added Section 103E.067 to drainage law, requiring drainage authorities to submit a report to the Board of Water and Soil Resources providing information regarding public drainage buffer strip establishment and inspection.
- 2014 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts (posted 03/09/2015)
- 2013 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/06/15
- 2012 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/06/15
- 2011 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/06/15
- 2010 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/05/15
- 2009 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/05/15
- 2008 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/05/15
- 2007 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/05/12
- 2006 Public Drainage Ditch Buffer Study
Technical Information and Resources
- Water Management Options for Subsurface Drainage Briefing Paper #2 (posted May 2012)
- Water Management Options for Subsurface Drainage Briefing Paper #2 PowerPoint Presentation (posted May 2012)
- Minnesota Drainage Law Analysis and Evaluation (posted August 2011)
- Minnesota Statutes 103E
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture - Drainage
- Conservation Drainage Practices for Agriculture - presentation by Joel Peterson, BWSR, at the Minnesota Association of Watershed Districts annual meeting (December 2009)
- Intensified Tile Drainage Evaluation - presentation by Rick Moore, Minnesota State University - Mankato, Water Resources Center
- Fingerprinting Sources of Suspended Sediments - presentation by Shawn Schottler, St. Croix Watershed Research Station, Department of the Science Museum of Minnesota
- Lateral Effects Training Documents - training provided by BWSR staff through the Wetland Delineator Certification Program
Drainage Records Modernization
- Drainage Records Modernization Guidelines
- Powerpoint Presentation - Overview of Drainage Records Mondernization Guidelines
- Powerpoint Presentation - Drainage Records Mondernization Guidelines
Tools for Wetland Determination - Scope and Effect
- Drainage Setback Guidance (posted 10/18/2013)