Minnesota's premier conservation easement program on privately owned lands
Click here to go back to the Easements page.
2012 Flood Response RIM Reserve Easement Sign-up
In response to the rains and flooding which occurred June 14-21, 2012 and the resulting federal disaster declaration of July 6, 2012 (FEMA, DR-4069), the MN Legislature, in their August 24, 2012 Special Session, appropriated $1.5M for RIM Reserve conservation easements to acquire permanent easements from landowners on damaged lands to provide flood attenuation, restore and protect soil and water resources, and to support related fish and wildlife habitat, as provided in MS Section 103F.515. The intent of the sign-up is to take perpetual RIM Reserve easements, with willing landowners, on lands either damaged by the flood events from June 2012, or will help to reduce the impacts of future flood events.
This guidance documentation outlines the enrollment criteria and conditions that will govern the sign‐up for this RIM Reserve conservation easement program. This guidance should be considered additive to existing RIM policy and procedure.
The front page of this document lists all the items you will need to submit to your BWSR BC as part of a complete application. There is also some instructions for you in the following pages of this document with links to our handbook on the BWSR website that should be useful in helping you to fill out the required materials. SWCDs should prioritize their applications in the order they should be funded based on which applications will do the most to protect the soil and water resources and lessen the impacts of future flood events. Please work with your landowners to develop applications that will not only help to offset some of their losses due to the last flood, but will help to reduce the impact of future events.
- Application Package
- Prioritized and completed applications should be forwarded to your Board Conservationist by March 15, 2013.
- RIM Update Teleconference (3/20/2013): Replay recorded session.
- Southeast Groundwater Edge Signup (January 1st, 2012)
- Reinvest in Minnesota Accomplishment Maps (December, 2012):
- All Easements: Jan 1st, 2008 through November 9th, 2012 (Includes Recorded/Restored; Recorded/Unrestored; In-Process)
- Jan 1st, 2008 through November 9th, 2012; Recorded (Restoration in Progress)
- Jan 1st, 2008 through November 9th, 2012; Currently in-Process (Not Recorded or Restored)
- 1986 through December 31st, 2007 Recorded & Restored
- BWSR Emergency Drought Haying and Grazing Policy - Press Release and Application Form (August 1st, 2012)
- 2012 legislative fact sheet - opportunities & challenges (February, 2012)
- 2012 CWF/OHF Riparian Buffer Signup (June,2012)
- Reinvest in Minnesota (RIM) Reserve Partnership Easements (February, 2012)
- RIM Reserve Quality Assurance 2010 (Jan. 12, 2011)
- RIM Reserve Long-Term Land Management Analysis (Jan. 12, 2011)
Documents & Links
- RIM Reserve Overview Fact Sheet
- Minnesota Rules Chapter 8400 (Link to Revisor of Statutes Office - see sections 8400.3000 - 8400.3930)
- RIM-WRP Partnership (RIM Reserve - USDA NRCS Wetlands Reserve Program)
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- USDA Farm Service Agency
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Pheasants Forever
- Ducks Unlimited
- University of Minnesota Land Economics (to determine estimated land values)