Minnesota has a long history of water management by local government. One Watershed, One Plan is rooted in this history and in work initiated by the Local Government Water Roundtable (Association of Minnesota Counties, Minnesota Association of Watershed Districts, and Minnesota Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts) in 2011 which recommended that the local governments charged with water management responsibility should organize and develop focused implementation plans on a watershed scale. The recommendation was followed by legislation that permits BWSR to adopt methods to allow comprehensive plans, local water management plans, or watershed management plans to serve as substitutes for one another; or to be replaced with one comprehensive watershed management plan. This legislation is referred to as One Watershed, One Plan. Further Legislation was passed in 2015, defining purposes and outlining additional structure.
BWSR’s vision for One Watershed, One Plan is to align local water planning on major watershed boundaries with state strategies towards prioritized, targeted and measurable implementation plans – the next logical step in the evolution of water planning in Minnesota.
- Transition Plan (adopted June 22, 2016)
- Guiding Principles (posted Dec. 19, 2013)
- Operating Procedures (March 23, 2016)
- Plan Content Requirements (March 23, 2016)
- Local Government Water Roundtable Comprehensive Water Planning and Management Policy Paper (November 25, 2013)
- Fact Sheet (March 28, 2016)
- Frequently Asked Questions – General (March 23, 2016)
- Fact Sheet - Tools for Prioritizing, Targeting, and Measuring (May 2016)
Suggested Boundary Map
The boundaries represented on the One Watershed, One Plan Suggested Boundary Map are for planning purposes and may be changed or adjusted within certain criteria.
- Final Suggested Watershed Boundary Map (labeled) (was adopted by the BWSR board 4/23/2014)
- Final Suggested Watershed Boundary Map (was adopted by the BWSR board 4/23/2014)
- State Strategies Summary (October 2015)
- Data / Resource Links (sources of information, sorted by topic, available through partner agencies)
- Bylaws Template
- Memorandum of Agreement Template
- Frequently Asked Questions – Plan Development (November 30, 2015)
History and Pilot Watersheds
- BWSR Launches Statewide Water Initiative (June 26, 2014)
- One Watershed, One Plan Pilot Areas
- Lessons Learned (May 2016)
- Pilot Profiles