BWSR works with partner agencies to increase the usefulness of current soils data, update soil surveys in the state, and provide technical support and training to local governments.
Soils data and resources
- Soil Carbon & Long-term Land Use
- Web Soil Survey (Updated crop yields and an index of soil productivity now available on the WEB Soil Survey. This project is a joint effort of the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, University of Minnesota and the Board of Water and Soil Resources. Financial support was provided by the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund.)
- Minnesota Geospatial Information Office (Soils Information)
- Minnesota Geospatial Information Office (Crop Productivity Index)
- Minnesota Geospatial Information Office (Crop Equivalent Ratings)
- Air Photo Information Page
- Model Ordinance for Agricultural Erosion Control (see M.S. 103F.411)
- Map of counties with SSURGO soils data available from the NRCS: Counties with SSURGO soils data also have Crop Productivity Index values available.
- Map of counties with Forest Productivity Index values available
- NRCS State Soils Maps and Information
- Installing Monitoring Wells and Piezometers in Wetlands (Link to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website)
- Installing Monitoring Wells in Soils (Link to NRCS website)
- For information about using the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE) and other tools for calculating outcomes of conservation practices that control soil erosion, please see the BWSR Conservation Implementation page
Dig it! The Secrets of Soil - for interactive content and soils-related curriculum, see the website for this exhibit from the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.